NO SUGAR! NO DAIRY! NO GLUTEN! NO PROBLEM!
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! My staple dessert for holidays and special occasions was an amazing chocolate caramel mousse by Scot Carsberg. I found the recipe online years ago and have been making it ever since. Here is a link. Unfortunately, the main ingredients in this old dessert are heavy cream, butter and sugar. I no longer eat dairy and I try to eat minimal sugar; so, this dessert is now out of the question.
Since, I still wanted to make a delicious dessert for the holidays, I decided to try to convert the Scot Carsberg recipe into a dairy free and refined sugar free dessert. I had so much success that my heart is truly bursting with pride. I am over the moon! I cannot believe I made something so delicious that works with my diet. This dessert is truly magical.
I love that I was able to replace the refined sugar with whole natural ingredients: pure maple syrup and dates. Although both of these do have natural sugars, they are also both full of vitamins and minerals. Dates have fiber as well. They are definitely a healthier alternative to refined sugar AND they are just as delicious. Salivating yet?!
- 4 cans Coconut Milk (I used Native Forest Canned Organic Coconut Milk – it is important that there is guar gum in the coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup (I used Crown Grade A Medium Amber Certified Organic 100% Pure Maple Syrup)
- 18 Dates (I used Whole Foods Organic Madagascar Dates)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla (I used Nielsen-Massey Vanilla)
- 7oz 100% Cocoa Bars (I used (4) 1.76 oz bars of Pacari Ecuadorian Organic Chocolate) melted. If you cannot find 100% cocoa I have often used 80% with great success but please note generally 80% chocolate has sugar added..
4 cans of just the cream part of the coconut milk (save one can with leftover liquid for below)
1/2 cup maple syrup
18 dates pitted
1 can of coconut milk with cream removed (this is about 1-1/4 cups of liquid)
1 teaspoon vanilla
7 oz of 100% cocoa broken into chunks
Blend all the Date Caramel ingredients (maple syrup, dates, coconut milk with cream removed, vanilla) in a high powered blender until smooth then in a bowl mix, everything, together the Date Caramel, melted Chocolate and Coconut Cream. Pour into small serving cups or leave in bowl. Refrigerate until firm (about 4 hours). Add raspberries to garnish.