Retrieval Day!

Today was my retrieval!  And I am in great spirits. 

I hardly feel bad at all from the procedure.  Although, I tend to do very well with surgeries and procedures.  I was up like a champ the day after my c-section to the point my doula said that she thought that my body does not send intense pain signals to my brain.  So ya, I may have some super powers, getting pregnant easily is just not one of them.

The retrieval otherwise also went very smoothly.  We arrived at the lab at 6 am this morning and we left around 8 am.  We filled out the paper work.  Then, my husband went to give his sperm sample.  I'll spare you the details.

And, I changed into a hospital gown, hat and blue booties.  Next, the nice anesthesiologist entered and put something in my arm so that she could give me medication to keep me sedated during the procedure.  Then, we went into the procedure room. 

I had a little anxiety about this.  I had a super bad experience at my last fertility clinic.  They had this metal contraption they put your legs into; so that your legs were in the air and spread.  And, they didn't cover you, in a room full of people.  It was insane.  It was part of my 11 page complaint to them.  It is my understanding that they are better about covering people now, which is nice for the patients after me.  But, it didn't help my anxiety going into this procedure.

Thankfully, the room was way less scary than the room at my last fertility clinic and they gave me a paper blanket to cover up.  The anesthesiologist started me on some gas.  I breathed in ...and breathed out few times and I was out in no time.

Soon, I was awake.  I had a conversation with whomever was in my room when I woke up but cannot remember the details.  I think it was the anesthesiologist and I think was talking about how they didn't properly cover me at my last fertility clinic....

The nurse brought me some apple juice and a cookie.  It was total GMO filled terrible cookie and I was glad I brought myself a GMO free, gluten free fig bar that I ate instead.  The apple juice wasn't organic.  But, I decided to live dangerously and drink it anyway.  Seriously, though, I don't really understand why they would give women with immune issues such inflammatory junk food to eat.  But, the medical community rarely is focused on diet and seem to not understand that food can be healing if you make the right choices.  Anyway, in this day and age, you pretty much have to bring your own food everywhere or you are going to be eating something toxic.  Some people can handle it, but people, like me, with immune issues have to be careful about what we eat.

Next, someone came to tell me how many eggs they retrieved.  5 eggs!  That's one more than we thought I would get last Friday from looking at the follicles.  I am now feeling optimistic we will have at least one good one.

I also am just so happy to be done with almost all of the drugs for the retrieval.  I am done taking hormones for this part of the process.  Although, I did have to take a prophylactic 3 day dose of doxycycline, an antibiotic, to prevent infection from the procedure, which I was not happy about. After tomorrow, thankfully, I will even be done with that.   There will be many more drugs during this process and I am really not looking forward to the side effects but let's not worry too much about that for now.

I am excited to feel myself again and get back to focusing on having amazing health.  I am going to start a 2 week detox and another 2 weeks of Sakara Life Monday.  I will also be super diligent about taking my probiotics for gut health after being on the antibiotics. I will be feeling super healthy and happy again soon!  And, it will be great to be in good health for the upcoming transfer.

After the retrieval, the embryologist performed ICSI on our sperm and eggs.  ICSI stands for intracytoplasmic sperm injection, where one sperm is injected into each egg.

Tomorrow, we should hear about how many of the eggs fertilized.

Then, in 5 days we will hear about the quality of the embryos.  And, we will decide at that time whether to do genetic testing on the embryos or not.

On the fifth day we will freeze all the embryos. 

I will continue on a super healthy anti-inflammatory diet and start immune medication to prepare for the embryo transfer!

It's going to be a long process.  My guess is that the transfer will not be until January or February.  But, also that's very exciting because that means I could be pregnant in January or February - woah and woo hoo!!